Re: Bringing pH down

On Thu, 19 Nov 1998, Morten Karlsen wrote:

> Anyway, I have this old book - which holds formulas & stuff, related to chemistry.
> It's WAY to long since I learned this stuff - so I cannot advise on this topic - but a thought occured when seeing the list of acids...
>
> These look interesting:
> H2CO3 and HNO3 / HNO2.

H2CO3 is carbonic acid.  Carbonic acid doesn't actually exist as a pure
compound.  It the same thing as carbon dioxide (CO2) and water (H2O).
You dose "H2CO3" by adding CO2.  It's a great way to lower pH.

HNO3 is nitric acid.  It's a strong acid and works just like sulfuric
or hydrochloric acid when it comes to lowering pH.  The NO3- part is
nitrate and that will fertilize your plants and algae.

HNO2 is nitrous acid.  It's a strong acid like nitric acid, but the NO2-
part is nitrite -- it's toxic.  Nitrobacter and other nitratifying
bacteria will convert it to nitrate in due time, but it might kill a few
things before they do.

CO2 for H2CO3 can be purchased bottled or produced by yeast.  You might be
able to get nitric acid at a pharmacy.  When I was a child back during the
industrial revolution I could buy it with the requirement (since it's a
dangerous chemical) that I sign for it.  I don't know that nitrous acid is
readily available.

Roger Miller