Green water

I know that in Northwest Washington, where I live, we generally have
nice summers, with really rainy falls.  My municipal water supply comes
from a nearby lake that has lots of people living around it.  My pet
theory on the fall algae blooms is that leftover fertilizer people have
been dumping on their lawns and other pollutants get washed into the
water supply, to be then carried by my pipes into my aquarium, causing a
phosphate or nitrate spike, and resulting algae.  This, however, is just
my pet theory.

Justin Collins