Arcillite--continued

Hello fellow planties--

As the actual setup of another tank rapidly approaches, I'm starting to
analyze how I'm going to dose the arcillite/1-2mm gravel substrate
(arcillite mixed with gravel in bottom 1/3-1/2, topped with gravel upper
1/2-2/3). At this point it seems like I have a few options:

1) Leave the substrate as is, adding no ammendments of any kind. The
arcillite should pick up iron and liquid aquatic plant fertilizer trace
elements introduced to the water column and "hold" them until plant
roots use them.

2) Add a solid fertilizer of some sort, a type intended for terrestrial
plant use (Jobe's, Osmocote, etc.) or aquatic plant use (Dupla, Tetra
Helena, etc.)

3) Here's the iffy one--use a liquid fertilizer to directly dose the
arcillite as I lay down the arcillite/gravel substrate. In this case the
fertilizer would be Kent Marine's Plant Micronutrient Supplement w/Iron,
as I have a *ton* of this stuff sitting around (don't ask). My main
concerns with this route are that I don't want to overdose the
substrate, and am worried about the liquid entering the water column
(during initial planting and possibly during later re-arrangement and
plant removal, etc.). I don't have any clear idea as to how fast or how
well arcillte will absorb any particular amount of aquatic plant liquid
fertilizer. Additionally, I haven't any idea how much liquid fertilizer
to use per pound of arcillite. Has anyone ever used liquid fertilizer in
the substrate (with arcillite, kitty litter, etc.)?  Any suggestions you
could offer?

Thanks in advance!

Erik Leung
San Francisco