Re: HCl problems

> From: IDMiamiBob at aol_com
> Subject: Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #646

	big snip - I'll do some calculations on that when I get time.

> Also worthy of note:  I was using up the 2% solution to reduce buffering in a
> bucket of water shortly after I finished my test.  I overtightened the cap and
> cracked it.  About a week later I noticed this crack, and tested the solution
> to see if it was still good.  Guess what?  pH had risen from 1.7 to 6.8.

	Something is _far_ wrong here.  The pH of 2% HCl should be well
below 1.7.  I would expect about 0.26.  A pH of 1.7 would suggest an HCl
concentration of about 0.07%.  You would throw a lot of that into a solution
to reduce KH.

	This is getting repetetive, but you _can_ forget gassing off of
HCl from dilute solutions. _Something_ else is happening!

--
Paul Sears        Ottawa, Canada