Re: Filtering "green water"

Bob wrote:

> I went to the better LFS today looking for a diatom filter, like the
smaller
> Vortex, for polishing my water.  I still have a little residual "green
water"
> algae, plus I'd like to be able to filter out suspended clay particles if
> make a mess with my tinkering.  LFS didn't have any diatom filters, but
they
> said the HOT Magnum would do almost as good and was a whole lot easier to
use.
> I looked at one, and it had instruction for using diatomite powder with
the
> micron filter if you really wanted to.
>
> Is this filter adequate for water polishing (especially with just the
micron
> filter without the diatoms)?  My current filter is a little too small for
my
> tank; a 100 gph "AquaTech 5-15" (kind of like a biowheel "mini" without
the
> wheel) in a 20H tank with too many fish and lots of plants and 2.2W/gal
4100K
> fluorescent lights.  If I were to use the hot magnum in this size tank,
would
> it turn the tank into a maelstrom?  Is it posible to set it up so it
doesn't
> disturb the surface water too much and lose all my CO2?

The HOT Magnum is not really a diatomaceous earth filter, even if you can
use some of this powder in one of its operations.  The "Vortex" is an real
dialtomaceous earth filter and, still better, is the "System 1"
diatomaceous filter from Aquarium Products.  The latter is very simple to
use and will polish a "green water" aquarium in four hours or less!  If not
available from your LFS, most (if not all) of the mail order houses sell
this filter.  In four hours, you won't have to worry about losing CO2 for
that time!

Merrill Cohen