Re: acetic acid and aquatic fungi

>I recently did extensive testing with muriatic acid.  It will reduce buffering
>agents such as carbonates to a degree, but for permanent pH changes, it is
>ineffective.  It manages to gas off very quickly as hydrogen chloride.
>
>Bob Dixon.

What about this as an alternative explanation:  CO2 was driven off with
chloride salts remaining.  The pH probably rebounded not only from the loss
of CO2, but also from more calcium carbonate dissolving from old snail
shells, etc.  I never heard that HCl gas was produced from anything but the
most concentrated hydrochloric acid solutions.

Matt Estep wrote:
>.......I was wondering if we have any mycologists on this group. I was
>looking at the bottom of my tank with a flashlight to see the root growth.
>Many people know that some fungi form a mycelial web around plant roots
>that help both plant and fungi. I know that there are some aquatic fungi.
>But I don't know if they would work the same as they do for our terrestrial
>plants. The reason I ask is that there seems to be a light green organism
>growing around my plant roots.
>        If those who can could take a look at there root system and maybe
>give opinions on what they think it could be fun. Maybe we could help out
>the world of mycology with there study of new species.

Is there any light striking the bottom of your tank?  The green color might
be due to algae or photosynthetic bacteria of some kind.  Aquatic plant
roots have air channels and oxyen diffuses from them into the nearby mud.
The higher redox potentials can cause a lighter color next to the roots
because dark-colored iron sulfide is oxidized.

Most terrestrial rooted plants have mutualistic fungi, known as mycorrhizae
that aid in phosphorus uptake.  I don't know if any aquatic plants also
have mycorrhizae, but it is possible.  I have seen what could be
mycorrhizae associated with Ceratophyllum.  Even if aquatic plant roots had
mycorrhizae, I don't think the mycorrhizae would be green.

Paul Krombholz, in cool central Mississippi with typical drippy November
rains.