Re: CO2 measurements

>Steve writes:
>
>> It seems to me that we should be able to make a much better estimate of
>>  CO2 concentration in tanks which contain other alkaline buffers aside
>>  from carbonate-bicarbonate by measuring the *change* in pH by simply
>>  boiling the water to elminate dissolved CO2. I couldn't guess at how to
>>  apply the formula to this but maybe Roger or George can.

>Bob Dixon replies:

>The boiling may also cause changes in the carbonate present.  I hear that
>carbonate levels do not directly affect pH, but in this scenario, I wouldn't
>be sure.

How about comparing a sample of water from your tank with another sample
that has been aerated for several hours with an airstone.  The latter
sample would presumably be in equilibrium with the atmosphere, and the
reading on the former sample would tell you how many ppm above the
equilibrium with atmospheric air your tank water is.  It is generally
agreed that most aquatic plants will grow more rapidly if the CO2 level is
increased above that equilibrium.

Paul Krombholz, in central Mississipp where a line of severe storms just
went by.