Re: Shelf life of Flourish/Substrate iron

This has not been my experience.  I use a 50/50 mix of relatively fine gravel and
Seachem's Fluorite substrate which (they say) has iron in it.  I have found that
if I do not dose with supplemental iron the leaves of my normally red-growing
plants start growing green.  I dose with iron, they turn red again.  Now, this may
be because the plants have a hard time getting at the iron in the substrate, but
I'm not sure they aren't using all the iron available to them, as I have 260 watts
over a 60 gallon and fairly high CO2 levels.  Is it possible I simply have more
photosynthetic processes that use more iron than in some other tanks?

Justin Collins