Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #638

At 03:48 AM 11/11/98 -0500, E. Leung suggested:
>I want to experiment with using
>the ballasts as a substrate heating element ... and plan to insert an
>adjustable shelf into my DIY stand to hold the ballasts.... the heat
created by the ballasts
>would create convection currents not unlike those produced by heating
>cables during the day. Any thoughts on this admittedly cheap and
>questionable practice? Is there a potential for danger that I've missed?

Cheap yes.  Questionable, no not in my book.  I have thought about this a
bunch and think it is a great idea.  Be sure you shield the wires from the
ballast to the bulbs, they can create hellacious TV interference.  Danger,
not if you are qualified and careful.  Good joints, adequate mechanical
protection, good shielding.  That kind of thing.