Where do you draw the line on hard/soft water - CORRECTED

In an earlier post I mistakingly indicated soft water derived from
limestone deposits.  Please accept the following, which is corrected.

Colin Anderson wrote:[snip]
>An important issue in this is not to have a relative answer.  A
>lot of  what I see on the list and even in books is relative(or severely
>biased) to the region we live in.  Thus whats good for the goose of
>often not good for the gander--that is without taking all factors into
>consideration(something a newbie's not good at).

If it helps, I believe municipalities in larger cities tend to take most
ofthe
hardness out of the water in an attempt to make it nice to pipes and nice
to take a bath in.  If the person has well water, they likely soften
thewater
with water softeners, dionizers, etc.

In the northeast of the country much of the underground aquifer water
has limestone deposits from ions past which helps contribute to hardness.
In areas obtaining lots of water from mountains or rain the water is likely
soft as the minerals havn't had a chance to leach into the water.

Having said that, I understand Los Angeles for one has hard city water!

Christopher Coleman
christopher.coleman at worldnet_att.net