Re: Outside Lilaeopsis

> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Mon, 09 Nov 1998 09:51:49 -0500
> From: krandall at world_std.com
> Subject: Hard/soft water, Glossostigma/Lilaeopsis
>

> >From Dan Q's post, I'm wondering if he's working with the temperate U.S.
> native.  The braziliensis I have thrives even at temperatures in the mid
> 80's.  In fact, it took over my tank, totally displacing a stand of E.
> tenellus during a heat wave an umber of years ago.  The temperatures in the
> tank hovered around 90F for 6 weeks that summer.
>
> Karen Randall
> Aquatic Gardeners Association

 I'm not sure temperature is the key.  I have a little Riccia inside and floating  6" under  a hot incandescent bulb. Likewise, what little Liliopsis I have inside seems to do fine.   The biggest grower of Riccia in the US (that I'm aware of) only sells it during
cool months because that's the only time they ever see it. My experience with Riccia is almost the same outside. I can still see it, but it's hard to even tell it's Riccia.
Most farms in Florida raise Lilaeopsis, but I don't think any have much they want to sell during the summer. My guess is if anybody is raising it outside it might be a greenhouse condition.
   The reason I posted my observation is because it doesn't make any sense and I was looking for some.
Dan TKLM