Date: Sat, 07 Nov 1998 17:09:26 -0500
From: George Slusarczuk <yurko at warwick_net>
Subject: Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #631

Hello Bob,

I don't know whether my experience is worth anything, but I have been
keeping an amphipod colony for about 6 months. They are about 1/4" long
and from a different source than you cite. I feed them mostly blanched
lettuce (no Anacharis) and they do multiply, but not enough to make it
worthwhile as a fishfood staple. Perhaps my conditions are not to their
liking.

In a *densely* planted tank some might survive and reproduce. I would
consider that an ideal situation -- any scud venturing into the open
water will become a snack to some fish  :-)) (Do your fish smile? My
Blue Gularis definitely smiles when he swallows a worm!)

Best,

George