Re: FWIW- Glosso and Lilaeopsis

> Date: Sat, 7 Nov 1998 23:22:04 EST
> From: IDMiamiBob at aol_com
> Subject: Re: Glosso
>
> Steve writes:
>
> <snip>> That's exactly what Karen Randall told me during her presentation here
> >  in San Francisco, Wright.  She said she cannot grow Glosso in her hard
> >  Boston water, but that she can grow a Lilliaeopsis (sp.?) lawn quite
> >  easily.<<snip>

Interesting how some plants don't want to follow our rules. I have very
soft, very acid, well water that most plants love. I have tried growing
Glossostigma submersed, emersed, rich soil, kitty litter and have little
to show for it. In fact I took it off my pricelist for now.
  I grow Lilaeopsis outside. My experience with it is very similar to
that of growers I deal with in Florida who generally have medium to hard
water. At least outside in Georgia, Liliaeopsis seems to be a seasonal
grower, much like Riccia. During the warm months it will not grow for me
at all even if I keep running cool 55 deg. water through it and feed it.
It doesn't die either, but kind of thins out and sometimes a few tips
will yellow. As the water cools in fall it should finally start to grow
and make me feel like I know what I'm doing again. I don't have enough
to sell yet, so I have been trying to get it from several places in Fla.
but they say it's still not saleable. Too warm yet.
 Inside, I have noticed that Lilaeopsis seems to spread quickly over an
older substrate with some accumulated mulm.