Takashi Amano and activiated carbon

Kelly Beard wrote:

[snip]
> I bought a copy of Tropical Fish Hobbyist and Amano
> has an article (with accompanying adverts) about ferns.
> In the data on the tank he notes that activated carbon is
>used, for water clarity I imagine.

I believe the 'formula' in Amano tanks is to use the activeated
carbon initially, while the biological filter is establishig itself.  Since
plant nutrient requiremnents at this time are low and water relatively
unstable, you can get most of the benefits of carbon w/o the
(loss of) nutrient concern you raised. I think he only uses the carbon
for the initial week or two of a tanks life.

Thanks
Christopher Coleman
christopher.coleman at worldnet_att.net