Takashi Amano and activiated carbon

One the Krib there is a report (by someone on the list if I'm correct) of
the effects of activated carbon and trace elements (iron, etc.).  The graph
plainly shows a reduction of these nutrients by carbon over a short period
of time.

I bought a copy of Tropical Fish Hobbyist and Amano has an article (with
accompanying adverts) about ferns.  In the data on the tank he notes that
activated carbon is used, for water clarity I imagine.

So, does he know something we don't, or does he not know what we know, OR
are his tanks not meant for long term use and are only constructed to take a
pretty picture and then be torn down?  BTW, I ordered Nature Aquarium World
1 & 3 from my LFS for a steal.

He needs to get on this list.  Obviously he doesn't know what he's doing.
;-)

Kelly Beard, Cat IV, Team Allanti
President, Allanti Cycling Club - http://www.allanti.com
I/T, IBM Global Services