Re: Cl

> Date: Sun, 01 Nov 1998 13:57:49 -0800
> From: Cliff Lundberg <cliff at noevalley_com>
>
> Are the products of dechlorinators totally benign?

Personally, I dislike the ones with all the slime coat and anti-ammonia
proprietary ingredients.  I use the ones that contain just sodium
thiosulfate.  Two brands are Mardel's MarChlor and Wardley's ChlorOut.
These are 2-3 drops per gallon and cost me about $5/year even though
I do a lot of water changes.  Sodium thiosulphate reacts with chlorine
to eventually produce sodium ion, chloride ion and sulfate ion.  Sulfate
is actually a plant nutrient, so no problem there.  It works on chloramine
too.  The ammonia is immediately consumed by my plants, I suppose.

> I used to see devices you'd attach to a garden hose between the
> nozzle and the hose, that you'd screw a jar into, and you'd put
> liquid fertilizer in the jar, and it would get mixed into the
> water a little at a time. Could this work with a dechlorinating
> solution to any advantage? Is it necessary to dechlorinate
> before adding the water or can it be done in the tank when
> changing water? Obviously I'm interested in avoiding the labor
> of dealing with buckets.

People who use pythons or hoses usually add the dechlorinator to the
tank before adding the new water.  The reaction is almost instantaneous.