chlorine/amine disasters

For two years I've made 50 percent water changes with no visible harm to
fish only tanks.  I then moved, continued the practice for six months
and one day killed 2 large geophagus Juriapari, and turned nearly every
other fish to the surface gasping for air.  I've since changed my ways.

I think the point is that municipalities use different concentrations
and switch between chlorine and chloramine to solve different, variable
problems.   Conclusion: can't trust them to be consistent so you have to
do one better.  My water sits peacefully in the bathtub(go ahead, let me
have it) while at work and has never caused a problem with my after work
water changes.

Colin Anderson
Calgary, Alberta, Canada