Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #616

In a message dated 11/1/98 12:58:40 AM Pacific Standard Time, Aquatic-Plants-
Owner at actwin_com writes:

<<
 Commercially lye dissolved in tetra hydro furan is used to remove cured
silicon
 rubber. this is extremely nasty stuff and will probably dissolve the plastic
 frame. I have personally disassembled tanks for repair by dragging a double
edged
 razor blade through the seam with a pair of vise grip pliers. I then used a
razor
 blade scraper to remove all of the silicon rubber from the glass so that the
tank
 could be reassembled. This is important since the silicon rubber does not
bond
 well to itself. >>
Be very careful with THF, we used many gallons of this solvent in "welding"
vinyl liner sheeting together for water-effects underliners over the years.
VERY flammable, and not good to inhale fumes of either (maybe that's why I
can't get out of the pet-fish biz?). The SOP in the trade is new single edge
razor blades to split seams, and a solvent (toluene, xylene, others... with
gloves, good ventilation) used to clean used panels of old silicone residue
(and gunk from fingers, etc.).
Bob Fenner