Re: Deconstructing an aquarium

In a message dated 10/31/98 1:59:31 PM Mountain Standard Time, Aquatic-Plants-
Owner at actwin_com writes:

> >There have been numerous posts about using silicone to assemble and fix
>  >aquariums and other things.  My problem is just the opposite.  I want to
>  >take one apart, a 75 gallon one.  Problem is, I can scrape all the
>  >accessible silicone out, but that thin seam where the two pieces of glass
>  >"connect" is impossible to get to.  Does anyone know of a solvent that
will
>  >soften or dissolve silicone (without destroying the plastic frame)?  Any
>  >suggestions welcome.  TIA.  -John

Try getting a very thin wire in the gap at the exposed end (the top) between
the front and side pane.  Push the two pieces away from one another while a
parnter pulls the wire down from inside and out.  It will cut through the
silicone.  Once you get through the edges at left and right, you can just tip
the front down and rip the bottom joint.  From there it is self-evident.