Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #612

I order my plants from Aquatic Gardens Arizonia and I am well pleased with
their services. Peter and Jermey are great about helping you to place an
order. Phone number 1-800-942-4523 Web site www.azgardens.com They have a
great site. Wilma

----------
> [...]
> 	Re: Dirty Glass Top treatise
> 	Florreal Testimonials?
> 	Plants with African Cichlids
> 	SAEs
> 	Re: Seachem's buffers
> 	Re Oxygen
>
> See the end of the digest for information on unsubscribing from the
> Aquatic Plants mailing list and on how to retrieve back issues.

> Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 15:51:32 -0500
> From: Ted Lyman <lyman at mpi_com>
> Subject: Substrate recipes
>
> Hello all, I will try this again on the advice of some of you,
>         I regularly see various arguments about soil composition,
> mineral content and such but have yet to see a definitive "recipe" using
> these items that have worked successfully.  Is there a summary or web
> page that has listed specific of substrate preparation?  Does any one
> have any recommendations for what DID or did NOT work for them.
> 	I am working on a tank for my office at work and would really like to
> try some "newer" methods for it.  I am particularily interested in the
> substrate part, but would like to see more detail before running out and
> buying a 100#'s of pottery clay. :)
>         It would be nice to see a summary of all these different topics
> posted in a complete FAQ or something of a similar nature so that
> someone could easily view successes and disasters on a variety of
> topics.
>
> Thanks!!
>
> Ted
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 16:31:32 -0500
> From: "Jamie Johnson" <jjohnson at davisfloyd_com>
> Subject: Re: CO2 levels from Yeast Method CO2
>
> > I've recently set up a number of 20 Gal. tanks for study purposes and I
am
> > using individual 2 L. Yeast Reactors for CO2 supplementation.(1 L water
+
> > 2 cups of sugar + 1 tsp Baking Soda + 1 tsp Dry Yeast)
>
> James, I also have a 20 gal with DIY CO2. I use 6 cups water, 2 cups
> sugar, and 1/2 tsp champagne yeast. This will get a good 3 weeks of
> CO2. I have 2-2L bottles setup on a 2-3 week stagger. I hooked them
> both into the feed line with a 'T'. I've noticed that when I set up a
> new bottle, my CO2 falls to about 10-12ppm, coming from only the old
> bottle. After 3-4 days, it steadys out to 20-25 ppm. Maybe since
> you're using twice the yeast, and I assume, bakers yeast, you're
> getting a lot more CO2, and a shorter bottle life. Try a lesser
> amount and see if that helps.
>
> > In the past (on my 120 Gal tank), I usually ended up with CO2
concentrations
> > of between 15-20 ppm CO2 by using a homemade reactor where the CO2 gas
gets
> > mixed with the water prior to entering the main aquarium. In this
instance,
> > I am feeding the CO2 from the Yeast Reactor into the intake stem of a
small
> > external power filter (Eheim Aqua Boss, very similar to a Hagen Aqua
Clear
> > 200). The gas enters the intake stream and gets forced into the water
as it
> > passes thru the impeller chamber of the filter.
>
> Mine gets injected into the uptake of a Whisper "C" filter.
>
> > The fish show absolutely NO signs of distress due to the high levels of
CO2
> [...]
> levels if it is gradually increased.
>
> > Everything that I have read indicates that levels of CO2 of this nature
can
> > be dangerous. Should I take some action (aeration of the water) to
drive off
> > some of the CO2 in these tanks, or just leave well enough alone?
>
> I'd let it be if the fish seem happy. The plants will love it! Plus,
> it will start decreasing over time.

> Jamie Johnson         "Keep your eyes on the stars
> Chemist-Trace Metals   and your feet on the ground"
> Davis & Floyd, Inc.            -Theodore Roosevelt
> jjohnson at davisfloyd_com
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 22:44:50 -0000
> From: "Phil Bixby" <constructive at mcmail_com>
> Subject: Re: CO2 levels from Yeast Method CO2
>
> Hi folks
>
> I have a similar setup - 25g tank with a diffuser supplying CO2 from a
2ltr
> yeast/sugar bottle.
>
> I've checked CO2 levels using ph/kH and the tables from the Krib and
reckon
> I get 20-25ppm CO2, which I've heard others report under similar
> circumstances. The yeast lasts about three weeks. Plant growth, with
3W/gal,
> is fine.
>
> I wonder if there's a problem with your CO2 test method?
>
> Phil Bixby
> York, UK
>
> > I've recently set up a number of 20 Gal. tanks for study purposes and I
am
> using individual 2 L. Yeast Reactors for CO2 supplementation. Since
adding
> the Yeast Reactors, the CO2 levels in each tank has shot up to anywhere
> between 45-56 ppm CO2.
> > How have other people who are using the "DIY" pop bottle method of CO2
> production found their CO2 levels? Have I perhaps chanced upon a secret
> strain of "super yeast"?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > James Purchase
> > Toronto, Ontario
> > jpurch at interlog_com
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 18:15:53 -0500
> From: "Guang Yan Wang" <lesenw-2 at idt_net>
> Subject: mail order plants
>
> Hello everyone, i'm setting up a new tank. My local pet stors does not
have
> nice selections of plants. I need to oder them online. Does any one know
any
> online shop that is reputable and have nice selections of plants? Also,
does
> anyone sell or know where to get a cheap CO2 pressurized tank set up?
> thank you.
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 18:22:27 -0500
> From: "Jose Correa Lohmann" <jcl at pol_com.pe>
> Subject: Second Plant Tank
>
> I'm starting my second plant tank, the first one was a 55g fish tank
converted, mainly what I do in this tank was increasing the light and use
DIY CO2 injection, and the results are very good.

> In the second tank I want to go a little further I use peat for the first
1/4 of the substrate, on top I spread 5 tablespoons of earthworm castings
and 5 teaspoons of a 12-12-12 plant fertilizer all covered with LFS gravel.
Here in Peru we don't have any

> The 12-12-12 fertilizer comes in 1-3mm pellets, I was wondering if I
could insert it in the gravel of the first aquarium around the plants.