Re: 75 gallon and water changes

> Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 15:40:05 -0600
> From: "Beard, Kelly" <KBeard at comdata_com>
> Subject: 75 gallon and water changes
>
> Ok, so I've got this 75 gallon going and this weekend will be the first time
> I do a water change (if nitrates are there).  I bought a Lee 'python'-type
> water changer thing to help vacuum the gravel and do water changes.  How in
> the heck do you fill your tank with it if you have chlorine in your tap?
> Add dechlorinator to the tank as you fill?  I don't know how I can use my RO
> unit for water changes.  It makes enough water, but somehow you have to
> siphon the stuff from your container (clean trash can for me) into the tank.
> I may just have to use it for replacement water.

Kelly, in one of my tanks, I transport water to the tank in a 5g
bucket.  I can't just pour the water into the tank because the bucket is
heavy and I don't want to disturb anything, so I bought a power head and
hooked up a vinyl hose to the output.

If you use a maxi-jet powerhead, you can drop the powerhead into your
30g trash can and run the hose to your tank.  That'll get you your
easy-fill of RO water.  Unfortunately, this fill takes the place of the
hose-attached fill of the python.  However, you can still use the python
to drain water from your tank during water changes.

David W. Webb
Live-Foods list administrator