java fern in goldfish tank

I bought what looked like a big hunk of java fern from the LFS, and when I got
it home, it was a bunch of individual leaves (each with a bit of root) and a
rubberband holding it together.  I separated them and planted them all about
the tank and they are just sitting there not growing, but not dieing either.
It's been about two weeks.  I was wondering, how deep should they be planted?
I probably set them pretty deep cuz I didn't want the goldfish to eat the
roots.  Thanks.

best regards,
bob