Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #600

At 03:48 PM 10/24/98 -0400, Wright wrote:
>All this discussion prompted me to see what "arcillite" really is,
>mineralogically.
>Guess what? I can't find it! The closest I can find is a material
>similar to laterite called argillite. It is a silica, alumina,
>iron-bearing material produced by long eons of weathering, just about
>like laterite.

Wright is right.  Almost.  An academic says Arcillite is a trade name.
NASA says: DESIGNATION: ABSORBER - TURFACE*
COMPOSITION: ARCILLITE (MONTMORILLONITE CLAY) AND CRYSTALLINE SILICA 5
PERCENT

About argillite, U Waterloo (
http://www.science.uwaterloo.ca/earth/museum/rgarden/arg.html  ) says:

Cherty Siltstone ( Argillite ) Gordon Lake, Nr.,Sault Ste. Marie. This fine
grained rock formed in a
shallow water environment. Ripple marks, mud cracks and slump structures
can be seen.

--
http://www.wcf.com/wcf