re:Acid tolerant plants

>Date: Fri, 23 Oct 1998 19:13:46 -0700
>From: Dave Gomberg <gomberg at wcf_com>
>Subject: Acid tolerant plants

>What would you recommend as an acid water plant (pH<6)?

- --
>Dave Gomberg, San Francisco            mailto:gomberg at wcf_com
>http://www.wcf.com/wcf

I have a tank set up for discus with a pH often <6 and temps >85, water
is soft, reconstituted R.O..  Most Echinodorus Sp. grow well also Rotala
macrandra, R. wallichii, hygrophila difformis, Cabomba caroliniana, many
aponogeton sp. (mostly crispus, rigidifolius and ulvaceus hybrids).

Anubias sp. and Vallisneria sp. do OK but not great. The ferns: Bolbitis
heudelotii and Microsorium pteropus not at all.  I've also had no luck i
n that tank with Hygrophila sp. other than difformis.

Problematic plants could be so due to parameters other than pH.

Ed Hengel
AGA