arcillite (sic)

A lot of discussion has gone down about:

>         Profile Aquatic Plant Soil (arcillite)

All this discussion prompted me to see what "arcillite" really is,
mineralogically.

Guess what? I can't find it! The closest I can find is a material
similar to laterite called argillite. It is a silica, alumina,
iron-bearing material produced by long eons of weathering, just about
like laterite. Maybe containing more silica, the biggest difference I
see is that laterite does not claim a high CEC. Argillite usually does
contain considerable iron.

*If* my limited research is valid, it makes little sense to mix this
with laterite, for it should directly replace it as a lower sand/gravel
additive. At US$8 for 10lb, I'm about to give it a try.

It would be nice if someone with a better access to geology references
could verify the above conjecture.

TIA

Wright

--
Wright Huntley, Fremont CA, USA, 510 494-8679  huntley1 at home dot com
 SPAMBOT food:   fraudinfo at psinet_com and psi at govt-aff_senate.gov