Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #597

> David Webb wrote:
>
> >Also, knowing that the
> >substrate on these tanks does not deteriorate in the way that it might in a
> >tank without heating cables provides evidence that some form of water
> >movement is occurring within these substrates that is not occurring at
> >least as quickly in tanks without these substrates.
>
> Are we sure that's true?  I believe that George's tanks with cables have
> good longevity.  I also believe that it is good to have a tank set up in
> such a way that the substrate stays at least as warm as the rest of the
> tank.  I don't remember whether George has talked about longevity of tanks
> w/o cables that didn't have a UGF. I _think_ that his non-cable tank had a
> UGF.
>
> I have yet to have _any_ substrate "give out" in a planted tank.  So I'm
> not convinced that tanks without cables can't have very good longevity
> also.  So far, my oldest substrate is 7+ years.  It's not having any
> trouble.
>
> Karen Randall
> Aquatic Gardeners Association

For what it's worth, I set up my first Dupla tank about 88-89, the tank (350L) has
been set up in it's current position since August 1990 with Dupla cables,
transformer and controller. I have not had any substrate problems ever. I think
George mentioned he vaccuums his substrate ( the top layer) periodically.....that
is something I do not do. The only time a disturbance occurs is thinning the
plants (especially eh giant Val.)

Bill Lynn
Victoria, BC
wlynn at vtcg_com