Re: Muddy thoughts

[Note: This posting is only asking one question and it is clearly
delineated. An answer to that question is the only APD reply that
is needed and that answer will allow this thread to end]

Steve writes:
>I can't tell anything about growth rates from a single picture
>unless there was a timed sequence of them.

Of course you can't. But since "faster" is only one small part of
better growth ("better growth is growth which is faster. and better.
healthier. colourful. vibrant. huge. big. Flowering."), the lack of
a "timed sequence" is of no consequence.

>I think you do have good growth in your tanks.

Thank you. Now we can move on to more pressing matters.

[HERE IS THE QUESTION!]

I said:
>>Again, if you [meaning Steve] don't know what to do with the answer,
>>there is no point in looking for one.

Steve fired back:
>If you [meaning George] don't know what to do with the numbers ...

I believe I said if "you", meaning "Steve, the guy who claims he can
tell us if the numbers are good". If the flow rate was known and the
CEC value was known (as you recall, laterite has a CEC of 4) and the
nutrient concentration in the water was known and perhaps other
factors where known, those values can be plugged into the
Theoretical Substrate Nutrient Equation (and I trust there is one).

Once we know that the substrate could theoretically hold X amount of
nutrients, against what standard would we compare X to determine if
that substrate was "good"?

[THAT IS THE QUESTION THAT NEEDS AN ANSWER!]

If you don't know the answer, please say so and we can drop this matter. ;-)

And, finally, an opportunity for something useful presents itself.

Steve proclaims:
>So the flow rates involved must be vanishingly small. I doubt that any
>of us could come up with a mathematical model to predict it

I think I already suggested that ("intractable computations") but
thanks for putting your stamp of approval on it.

>but measuring it experimentally wouldn't be hard at all.

Oh? "It would not be hard to measure a vanishingly small flow rate"?

Please give me a detailed procedure; one that an engineer, not as
skilled in mechanics as you are, could follow. I have an empty 29
gallon tank and spare heating cables with which I can perform this
simple experimental measurement.

I'm sure APD would be delighted to know the procedure and the results
but you can send me the details off-line to conserve bandwidth and to
keep from boring all these good folks.

George Booth, Ft. Collins, Colorado (booth at frii_com)
  Back on-line! New URL! Slightly new look! Same good data!
    http://www.frii.com/~booth/AquaticConcepts/