CO2 added to filter

I have heard a few description of aquariums and it sounds like it isn't
necessary to have a CO2 reactor in the aquarium itself for CO2
fertilization.  Some people have it somehow tied into the filtration
system.  I have an Eheim's cannister filter (specifically the Eheim
professional filter, type 2228) and I would love to combine technology
(please, no discussions on if this would be hi or low tech) and save
money.  I have tried finding a clear solution in the archives and on
people's web pages, but either I don't have the time to search fully or I
am just missing what is obviously there.  If it is in the archives, please
point me to a specific thread or web page, don't jsut flame me for asking
you to repeat something you have said a zillion times to other newbies.

On a different note, I have a low-tech/low-performance/failing-miserably
aquarium that has some really sick fish.  It started out with ich on the
tetras (or at least I think that is what it was) that moved into the
guppyies, with everyone dying.  The swordtails, mollies, gouramy, and two
gupies were fine.  The neons didn't even flinch and are still going
strong.  After the death of the phantom tetras and guppies, I thought I
was in the clear.  I suspected what brought the onset of disease was a
rapid temperature change, when I change alot of the water (40-50%, with
cold water).  I doesed with some medicine for the ich, and everone who was
alive, got better.  I have been careful since and no more fish died.  This
morning, I looked at my beautiful neon blue gouramy and noticed a large
white spot on his head.  Upon closer examination, it appears to be an area
eaten out of his head.  It isn't really deep, but looks like it will
eventually be really bad.  Any ideas what I am doing/not doing that is
causing my fish to get sick?  What is the best medicine to help my gouramy
survive?  He is my favorite fish and has been with me through all my
aquarium trials and tribulations.  I would hate to see him go with such a
nasty disease.

by the way, this aquarium is what started me on the planted/healthy for
all denizens of the tank philoshpy.  I hate to just keep replacing dead
fish.  I would rather do more work and spend more money and have a
beautiful, well-planted, with healthy fish aquarium.  Unfortunately for
its current occupants, I am still researching how to set up my 75 gallon
tank correctly and they are still suffering.  Eventually, I am going to
have a "perfect" (when does that really happend) aquarium where fish won't
die at extreme rates.  All survivers will get to travel into this better
tank as a reward for being tough.

Jennifer Glover

* The gene pool could use a little chlorine. *