Re: aquatic mud bath

Many years ago, circa 1971, I set up tank with a substrate dug up from the
edge of a lake -  black mud. I recall it took several weeks to settle out,
planted only with val. Low tech - one florescent bulb on a 40 gal tank,
supp. with some early morning sun. No filtration. Beautiful tank, 5
elephant-nose seemed to love it.

Of course, I <could> have had lots of problems - all kinds of critters could
have been (and probably were!) introduced into that setup. A lot of
unknowns, but it was expermental.

Don't know how it might have run long term, since I had to tear it down
after a year or two when we moved.

Russ Walasek