Re: Supplementing pmdd with Jobe's

Aquatic Plants Digest wrote:

> [...]
>

> George Booth, Ft. Collins, Colorado (booth at frii_com)
>   Back on-line! New URL! Slightly new look! Same good data!
>     http://www.frii.com/~booth/AquaticConcepts/
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Sun, 18 Oct 1998 20:56:21 -0700
> From: Dave Gomberg <gomberg at wcf_com>
> Subject: If I knew you were coming I'd have baked a cake
>
> One of the oldest and wisest bits of wisdom on this list is:
>
> DON'T MIX RECIPES.
>
> So I am working on a web page on this topic.  To build it, I need (among
> other things) a list of recipes.
>
> If you know of a recipe for how to do planted tanks not in the short list
> below (and I am sure there are a dozen), please mail me off list.
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> - --
> Dave Gomberg, San Francisco            mailto:gomberg at wcf_com
> - -----------------------------------------------------------------
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Sun, 18 Oct 1998 21:03:59 -0700
> From: Dave Gomberg <gomberg at wcf_com>
> Subject: If I knew you were coming I'd have baked a cake
>
> One of the oldest and wisest bits of wisdom on this list is:
>
> DON'T MIX RECIPES.
>
> So I am working on a web page on this topic.  To build it, I need (among
> other things) a list of recipes.
>
> If you know of a recipe for how to do planted tanks not in the short list
> below (and I am sure there are a dozen), please mail me off list.
>
> Ooops, forgot the list the first time:
>
> Randall School recipe
> Booth Dupla recipe
> Quackenbush low tech approach
> http://www.malloftheworld.com/aquarium/part1.htm
> Karl Schoeler     page reference?
> Steve Pushak    page reference?
> Conlin and Sears (is there a whole recipe or just nutrients?)
> Olga Betts   page reference?
>
> Gosh, who have I failed to remember?????
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> - --
> Dave Gomberg, San Francisco            mailto:gomberg at wcf_com
> - -----------------------------------------------------------------
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Mon, 19 Oct 1998 00:07:29 EDT
> From: TomWood3 at aol_com
> Subject: Supplementing PMDD with Jobe's 16-2-6
>
> After trying to supply all my tank's needs with PMDD, I've given up because it
> was just too "reactive".  I was having to dose KNO3 separately and never could
> get a stable dosage level.  The plants kept surging and stalling.  In a 60
> gallon, I've broken up 4 Jobe's sticks and pushed them under selected plants.
> I'm now dosing the PMDD mainly for the trace elements.  A post in the APD
> archives suggested that 3 or 4 sticks every two months would be appropriate
> for a 60 gallon.  Any thoughts on this?  I suppose that keeping nitrates in
> the 5 ppm range is still appropriate for algae control, but I'm hoping the
> plants will be less sensitive to this parameter with the substrate fertilizer
> now.  Anybody else supplement PMDD this way?

I think you're really on the right track, but substrate fertilization in
an already set up tank is technically difficult.  We've tried pushing
all kinds of fertilizers into the substrate under plants.  Often the
results aren't good because you end up placing too much fertilizer under
a single plant.  Also, good placement is difficult to do without
damaging sensitive roots.  If you try to place a very small amount it
desolves before you can get it placed.   We would like to suggest and
alternative approach.  That approach is to form your own small
(1/4"Lenght X 1/4" dia) pellets of pmdd of other formulations from the
dry components.  These pellets can then be precision inserted under
individual plants without damage to roots or substrate.  There is a
simple system available over the internet that will allow you to "press"
your own pellets of pmdd, laterite, osmocot. etc, then precision insert
them.  Because of the rules of this forum, it would be inappropriate for
us to give you a URL of the system.  But there is a system available to
solve these fertilization problems.