flying fox and terra-cotta

I've recently heard two things and would like verification and the like:

1.  Flying fox = Siamese Algae Eater--it took me two months to figure
out that SAE as Siam....

2.  Why the heck turn your whole tank into a mudbath--if you've got a
u/g like most novices do, why not just take thin terra-cotta dish, fill
it with your favorite slurry and bury it in one corner.  Voila--you now
have the flexiblity to learn, experiment and see which grows best in the
slurry and which doesn't

Any thoughts?

Colin Anderson