Re:Sand For Substrate

If you haven't already gotten the fine sand, you might want to consider using
a coarser and for my money much nicer looking kind. It's called brown cement
sand, and most of the grains are .5 to 1 mm in size, with a good many 2 to 3
mm as well. It took a fair amount of rinsing, but it really looks great in my
tank. It has an overall tannish or light brown color to it but it does have
quite a mottled look on closer inspection. I found it at a sand and gravel
supplier. An 80 pound bag cost 4$.
I use it along with laterite and my plant growth has been fine.

Matt