re: ballasts - convince me.

It's very hard to convince someone who's mind is already made up.<g>

There are pros and cons for all the different lighting sources.  Many of us
prefer energy efficient T-8 lighting (requires an electronic ballast)
because of the long term savings both in terms of relamping and energy
costs.  Many of us also prefer to keep the impact on our environment as
minimal as possible by using energy efficient light sources.  But everyone
has to make their own decisions on these matters, and the is no question
that your lights _will_ grow plants.

As to convincing you, I'm not going to bother to try.  You're (I assume) a
big boy, and capable of making your own decisions.

Karen Randall
Aquatic Gardeners Association