Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #545

At 03:48 PM 9/29/98 -0400, Hutton, Don mentioned:
>I received the latest Pet Warehouse catalog yesterday and they've added
>T8 bulbs and fixtures.
>The fixtures come in two and four bulb configurations and 18, 24, 36 and
>48 inch lengths.  The dual 48" costs $149 and the four bulb 48" costs
>$298. They appear to be high quality using powder coated extruded
>aluminum construction.

This brings up an interesting question.  Dual lamp fixtures are cheap
enough from AllGlass, but four tube lights are awfully expensive.   Does
anyone think there would be a market for four tube fixtures with efficient
ballasts that were the hard part of the DIY all done for you?  I am
thinking of something like an ugly metal box with all the wiring, reflector
etc. done.  All you do is add bulbs and a cover of whatever kind you want
(optional).  Sort of an aquarium shoplight, but with good components.  I
think they would cost about half the prices quoted above.  Probably only
36" and 48".   What do you think?

--
FormMaestro                              <http://www.wcf.com>