java fern(wendelov) loosening its grip after a move

I recently bought a beautiful wendelov anchored to a piece of bogwood.
I've read in the aquatic-plants digest that the plants often die back
quite badly(in reaction to drying out a bit) after a move.  The plant's
health does not look too bad, however the roots have begun to loosen
from their anchoring points, I have a nasty suspicion that the plant is
a little unhappy with my water chemistry.

Does anyone out there have some experience with wendelov and its
lighting/water chemistry requirements.  I'm @ about 2 watts/gallon and a
pH of 6.5 with moderately hard water.

Any help is appreciated.

Colin Anderson