Re: Potasium

>Date: Fri, 25 Sep 1998 10:09:16 -0700 (PDT)
>From: Anthony Ciarochi <Anthony.Ciarochi at eng_Sun.COM>

>> >fish: 4 discus (2 large, one juvenile, one baby), two 5" clown botia, 3
>Ottos, 2
>> >zebra danios, 3 rams, two large but very well-behaved snails (one
apple, one
>> >ramshorn).
>> >
>> >food: 2-3 frozen gumdrops twice per day (4-6 total per day), plus a
pinch of
>> >flakes

Oh my goodness.

We have 4 large discus, 2 5" clown loaches and a few other odds and ends in
a 100 gallon tank. We feed two Wattley Discus cubes every other day and
various other foods in between. We have to change 50% of the water every
two weeks to keep nitrates in the 15-25 mg/l range.

Discus breeders feed heavily to get good growth but they also siphon
uneaten food out of the !bare! tanks after feeding and change lots of
water. This is difficult to do in a planted tank.

If I were you, I would definitely cut down on feeding. The high nitrate
levels will tend to stunt their growth, negating the heavy feeding. For a
planted tank, we have to settle for less-than-monster sized discus.

Regarding the r.a.f.p info about potassium reducing nitrates ... what
nimrod posted that?

It sounds like they added 1 + 1 and got 10.

1. "If plants aren't growing well, potassium may be in short supply" among
other things...

+

1. "Plants help reduce nitrates" if they are growing well...

=

10. Adding arbitrary amounts of potasium will cause plants to growth
arbitrarily fast and suck up arbitrary amounts of nitrates.

George Booth doesn't think so. Nope. No way.

Good luck.

George Booth, Ft. Collins, Colorado (booth at frii_com)
  Back on-line! New URL! Slightly new look! Same good data! More to come!
    http://www.frii.com/~booth/AquaticConcepts/