Re: Next project

>Date: Fri, 25 Sep 1998 08:31:47 -0500
>From: "Beard, Kelly" <KBeard at comdata_com>

>What kind of lighting would you recommend for a tank this size?  I guess the
>standard dimensions for a 74 gallon are 48 x 18 x 21.  Does the gallon vs
>watt rule apply here or are there different considerations?

IMHO, the watts/gallon rule rarely applies.

>If the
>watts/gallons rule applies, I guess I would have to shoot for 225-300 watts
>of lighting.

Nope, doesn't apply here very well either.

>Some of you have tanks at least this large.  I'd like some descriptions of
>your lighting, high-tech or not, if it is working well for you.  Include as
>much trivial info that you can (bulb lengths, color, VHO or MH, suspended
>hood, shop lights, pendant, etc, etc, etc).

We have 4 40w (48") bulbs using old fashioned tar ballasts over our 100
gallon (60"x18"x20"tall) tanks. However, we prefer to maximize the lumens
per watt (and $ per watt :-), so we use two Triton bulbs and two Penn-Plax
Ultra Tri-Lux bulbs over each tank. Nice and bright, good color rendition
and they photograph well (all the photos in our web site were taken with
normal tank lighting and plain old daylight film).

That's 1.6 watts per gallon, but they're good watts.

George Booth, Ft. Collins, Colorado (booth at frii_com)
  Back on-line! New URL! Slightly new look! Same good data! More to come!
    http://www.frii.com/~booth/AquaticConcepts/