Re: Potasium

> >My stats are:
> >
> >55 gal.
> >3W/gal flourescent
> >gravel only substrate (Monterey beach sand from LFS)
> >RO for make-up water, tap water (very hard) occasionally depending on tank's
KH
> >established several months
> >
> >6.8 pH
> >6 KH
> >60 ppm NO4 (!)
> >Kent freshwater plant micronutrient added regularly
> >
> >fish: 4 discus (2 large, one juvenile, one baby), two 5" clown botia, 3
Ottos, 2
> >zebra danios, 3 rams, two large but very well-behaved snails (one apple, one
> >ramshorn).
> >
> >food: 2-3 frozen gumdrops twice per day (4-6 total per day), plus a pinch of
> >flakes
> >
> >10 species plants: Hygro. polysperma, Hornwort, Ambulia, L. cardinalis, C.
> >wendtii, Cabomba, Anacharis, Amazon Swordplant, dwarf Sag., Pennywort.
> >
> >15+ species algae :\
> >
> > - Anthony
>
> You forgot the most important stat....
>
> How often do you change your water?
>
> With your fish load and feeding, I'd guess that you should be doing
> about a 33% water change every two weeks to keep your nitrates and
> phosphate under control.
> - ---------------
> Ron Wozniak  Allentown PA, USA
> rjwozniak at lucent_com
> AGA member

Yeah, I suppose that information would help :)

I am changing 5 gallons of water twice per week, so about 20% per week.  I have
to clean the tank that often anyway, or I can't see through the algae that
collects on the glass.

Even after the water change, my NO4 reads 40-60 ppm.  The main reason I added
live plants was to minimize the frequency of water changes, while still  keeping
the discus happy.   Granted, they seem much happier, but I'm not -- although the
tank IS much prettier.

One reader has already responded that he thought I was overfeeeding, so unless
you have any other ideas, I'm going to give that a try for a few weeks.

Thanks for all your input.

 - Anthony