RE: optimum aquarium (really heating cables)

>Justin Collins wrote
>Now, for my own equipment question.  I am in the process of setting up
>a 100 gallon and am trying to decide if I want to add substrate
>heating cables to the setup.  The setup I am planning is a trickle

I have DIY low voltage heating cables in my 55 gal.  If I were going to do
it again, I would buy the Dupla cables and build a DIY transformer.
While the low voltage cables do heat the substrate and consequently
the water temperature about 3 deg F,  they do not get hot enough to
cause any convection currents.  Apparently, having convection currents
is one reasons to have heating cables in the first place.

Regards,
Harold.Walters at Halliburton_com