Re: Vallisneria problem

>Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 21:45:01 -0500 (CDT)
>From: ronmills at webtv_net (ronald mills)
>
>I have a problem growing vallisnera spiralis. The plants put out
>runners, but the new plants never grow over 4 or 5 inches high. The
>parent plants are over 2 feet high. What could be keeping the young
>plants from reaching their normal height? The ph of the water is 7.0, 40
>watts of full spectrum light over a 20 high, laterite in substrate,
>occasional drops of liquid fertilizer per week. partial water changes.
>If anyone has had similar problems, please help with any suggestions.

Val are heavy feeders and need adequate supply of macronutrients (NPK and
Ca).  Try a 1/4 of a jobes stick near the older plants or add a solution
with a quarter teaspoon of nitrate of soda (Sodium nitrate). Unless your
fertilizer doesn't have K, I am guessing it is just the N. Also check the
hardness to be sure you have at least 20ppm Ca in the water (GH > 3)

Neil Frank
AGA