Re: Hydrochloric Acid or Another way of Lowering pH

Marky,

If you told me that you added peat, pH down or CO2 to your tank
(hopefully not all at once) and it moved the pH by only .1, I'd say
you have another problem.  Your KH is way too high (high 10's, maybe
even 20's?). Peat should have fixed it eventually, but it would have
taken time, and it depends on your change water and gravel. I had
this problem a while back, and it turned out that my gravel had
bits of limestone in it.

Check your pH kit first...if it's alright, check your gravel and
ornaments for anything that has limestone or other "chemically-active"
rocks.  You can test gravel with vinegar.  Measure your aquarium water
and your tap water with a KH kit. If your aquarium water has a higher
KH, you need to make more frequent water changes and/or replace the
offending gravel and ornaments. You could add muriatic acid to kill
the KH, but you'd be fighting an uphill battle against your change water
and your gravel.

In the end, a pH of 7.4 isn't so bad.  The only fish I wouldn't
be comfortable with at 7.4 are wild-caught Apistos, and for those it
wouldn't be the pH so much as the osmotic pressure of the hard water.

My tapwater came out (in my old apartment) at 10 and slowly settled back
down to 7.5 as it re-absorbed CO2 to atmospheric levels.  Because it was
hard water, I never really had to test the pH...I *knew* it was going to
be 7.5 (7.2 when I added DIY CO2).  Some people on this and other lists
have mentioned in the past having problems keeping their pH from crashing
to 5 or below with soft (near 0 KH) water.  Harder water has its benefits.

Carlos E. Munoz
Austin, TX
<cmunoz at crystal_cirrus.com>