Re: What the XXXX is this stuff???

>Date: Sat, 12 Sep 1998 00:47:31 -0700
>From: Jeff Bodin <bodin1 at gte_net>
>Subject: What the XXXX is this stuff???

>I have an algae problem (there, I said it... now I feel better).

>This stuff looks just like the Spanish moss that you see hanging from trees
>in the bayou (or the stuff/moss you find covering the dirt on a house plant
>when you buy a plant from the store). It appeared rather quickly (within a
>week).

>What is it?

From your description, one possibility is that it's not an algae at all,
but Java Moss or Willow Moss.  Get a plant book with pictures and compare.
Sometime you get a little bit of them stuck in some plants you buy, and
they will take off in your tank.  If so, don't try to get rid of them.
Just rearrange a little and enjoy.  They are not cheap.  ;-)

Hoa

                     Hoa G. Nguyen
SSC San Diego D371             Email: nguyenh at spawar_navy.mil
San Diego, CA 92152-7383   http://www.spawar.navy.mil/robots/
  Aquarium: http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Hills/2637/