Fried fish & chips

Aquatic-Plants at actwin_com,EOL-Inet writes:

>Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 22:39:41 -0400
>From: "Peter W O'Dwyer jnr" <odwyerpw at francomm_com>
>Subject: Corys & Plecos Fried
>
>Folks,
>I keep a small 10gal tank for my shy Hypancistrus Zebra, Corydoras
>Habrosus,
>Corydoras Pandas & Peckoltia Vittata
[...]
>Unfortunately, the 20W heater (too big) locked up two weeks
>ago and sent the temp to 33degC for an estimated 18 hrs, tad more than the
>normal 25degC. Lowered Temp to 30degC immediately (cold water) and lowered
>back to 25degC over course of 4 hrs.

>Everything looked fine, except the
>Zebras no longer hid under plants & wood.  However, in last week, I have
>lost both Zebras, 1 of 2 Clowns, 2 of 4 Pandas and 1 of 4 Habrosus.
>Expensive mistake. A real heartbreaker. Don't rely on cheap heaters.
>Peter O'Dwyer jnr

I've said this a number of times before, but I don't think that tank
temperature is as big a problem to most aquarium fish than a lot of people
think.  Certainly, all the books say that your water MUST be between say
21 and 25 degrees Celcius, but I have found this not to be so.

In winter my tank sits at around 25 degrees (I have a heater that rarely
comes on at about 20 degrees C).  In summer, all my tanks sit up around 35
degree mark (this is for 6 months each year).  I have only ever had deaths
due to temperature when I went away for 3 weeks and left my house closed
up in summer (temp. was over 40 degrees and most things died, but not
everything (a couple of cardinal tetras, angle fish and sucker cat fish).
I suspect your deaths were caused more by the quick change in temp.  Even
though you took care, you still dropped 8 degrees in 4 hours.  My
transition from winter to summer tanks a month or so....

By the way, I do leave the tops of my tanks and I have to top up the water
pretty well much every second day.

Steve

Any replies, comments or general blurb to Steven Amor:
Steve_Amor at eol_ieaust.org.au

Why not check out my WEb Page? Just point your browser at:
http://www.ozemail.com.au/~dianeamor