Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #444

Please excuse this huge post, but I just realized I just missed the
deadline for the PM digest and that the above announcement won't get out in
time unless I do SOMETHING, so I am reposting this digest so as to cause
the above to appear in a timely fashion.   Please excuse any inconvenience.
  Dave

At 02:58 PM 8/12/98 -0400, you wrote:

> [...]
>half the time, I can't follow the discussions here in this mailing list.
>It's a bit too cheem (Chinese for deep) for me.  I have several test
>kits
>but I hardly use them.  Fortunately for me, the water from our taps do
>not
>need much conditioning.  I'm an idiot, really.  All I do is change water
>and put in fertiliser.
>
>Loh K L
>
>------------------------------
>
>Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 09:27:40 -0400
>From: Hostler Richard <rhostler at pcconnection_com>
>Subject: Re: Optimum
>
>Here's my take on the optimum tank:
>
>1. It must provide me with new questions or ideas which I can use to
>expand my knowledge regarding the aquarium. I will be greatly
>disappointed if I even find myself sitting in front of my aquarium and
>not wondering how or why some aspect of the tank is the way it is.
>
>2. It must be balanced. I am not saying that I try to run a "natural"
>tank. I use external filters and CO2 reactors and the like but I want
>the inside of the tank to be completely balanced. I want the fish to use
>the plants and the plants to use the fish. I don't want to be surprised
>by test results and I want all changes in conditions to be minor. I
>enjoy working with all the external machinery, but prefer not to do
>anything more in the aquarium than is absolutely necessary.
>
>3. Life. Everything in the tank must be alive and vigorous. All plants
>must show visible growth (they need not grow inches a week, just a new
>leaf every now and then or a flower or floater). All the fish must be
>active and reproducing. I have only tried to raise fry a couple times,
>but I enjoy seeing eggs or fry in my aquarium even if they are gone the
>next day. Such is life. My filter must be alive, in fact, I even add
>some snails to the filter to help the process.
>
>4. Finally it must be a microcosm of the macrocosm. If my life is going
>well, my tank seems to thrive. If my life is not going so well I seem to
>find problems in the tank. I may be bringing this to a static aquarium,
>but at least it can reflect my mood back to me and provide me with a way
>to escape the doldrums.
>
>As far as work involved, that doesn't matter. Most of the time it is
>extremely low, but there are days when it takes hours to fix one little
>problem. Either way it's worth it.
>
>------------------------------
>
>Date: 12 Aug 98 10:17:15 EDT
>From: Susan.C.Jorgensen at Dartmouth_EDU (Susan C. Jorgensen)
>Subject: Re:personal goals
>
>Karen,
>
>in order of importance:
>
>a) It's healthy and growing
>b) It looks good
>c) It provides a good home to whatever fish live there
>
>I'll take advantage of this non-lurking moment to thank you for all the
helpful
>and sensible information you share with the "silent majority" out (t)here.
 We
>may be quiet, but we're paying attention!
>
>Susan Jorgensen
>Sherman Art Library
>Dartmouth College
>

>- --- You wrote:
> I'd like to hear
>from some of you hundreds of "lurkers" on this list.  What is important to
>_you_ in your planted tank hobby?  Remember, there are no right or wrong
>answers here.
>- --- end of quote ---
>
>------------------------------
>
>Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 10:48:45 -0400
>From: "Louis Lin" <lhclin at aw_sgi.com>
>Subject: Re: Personal Goal
>
>I guess I am a little different than many people
>and do not put visual appeal on the top of my list.
>My plant tank is more like a toy to me than a
>piece of decoration.  So here is what's important
>to me:
>
>1. Fun to work on.
>2. Fun to watch.
>3. Visually appealing (yes, that is different from fun to watch).
>4. As an educational tool.  To learn things that I would
>   not learn otherwise.
>
>If I take out the spouse factor, I can even take out number 3 :).
>
>Louis Lin
>
>------------------------------
>
>Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 11:04:47 +0200
>From: Luca Specchio <luckyluca at mclink_it>
>Subject: Re: Thining Out Plants
>
>>Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 01:22 +0800
>>From: Kenny Song <kensong at pc_jaring.my>
>>Subject: Thining Out Plants
>>
>>As mentioned in a previous post, I had abundant growth of Echinodorus
>>tenellus. Some older leaves turn pale and transparent but because the
>>growth was so much, it's hard to get at them. Do I just leave them to
>Did you check your potassium level into the water?
>
>Sincerely,
>Luca Specchio
>
>------------------------------
>
>Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 11:00:37 +0200
>From: Luca Specchio <luckyluca at mclink_it>
>Subject: Re: Re: Pumice
>
>>Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 21:37:47 EDT
>>From: IDMiamiBob at aol_com
>>Subject: Re: Pumice

>(call it
>>>  >Poor Man's Amano Substrate- or PMAS)
>Eheheh !! :-)))
>
>>If it is low in organics, it won't be useful.  The acidity ( I keep
>Sorry I didn't explain correctly myself here. What I meant is that, as peat
>comes from _partially_ decomposed plant material, you should go for a type
>of peat that less labile to decay as possible.
>
>>>  But you should add a NPK fertilizer too (possibly as low as you can in
P).