DIY lights

I've purchased a four-bulb 48" lighting fixture from Home Depot.  It's
cheaper than a two-bulb aquarium light strip, but frankly, if I had the
money, I'd spend it on the aquarium fixtures, to avoid the hassle and
confusion.

This fixture was designed to be wired into the ceiling of your house.  It's
a flimsy metal framework, with no support from below.  I got someone to wire
it, but how do you adapt it to sit on top of the aquarium?

Can you rest it on a plank of wood, stretched across the tank?  Although I'd
still need to find a solution to enclose the fixture.  What about the
material for a canopy, any insulation, or how far you need to keep the
canopy from the heat of the bulbs?  I guess the temperatures aren't quite
high enough to burn wood, but it still doesn't feel quite safe to me.

Any advice, web sites you'd recommend?

Alysoun McLaughlin
Wheaton, Maryland