Re: Copper cpd's and plants

In a message dated 8/30/98 12:57:24 PM Pacific Daylight Time, Aquatic-Plants-
Owner at actwin_com writes:

<<
 I just went and checked, and it's actually Aquarium Systems' SeaCure
 I've been using, not CopperSafe.  Guess it's what they had on the
 shelves that week...

 Anyway, the package inserts also strongly recommend use of a test kit.
 Unfortunately, copper test kits aren't cheap, and I couldn't justify it
 for just a few applications, when there was also a no-test-required
 option on the label.  And as I said, it's worked pretty well, so far.

 I just re-read my post, and I should clarify; it wasn't well-phrased.

 On the three occasions that I've used it, I applied one drop per gallon,
 then one drop per two gallons, a few days later.  On one of these
 occasions, I dosed a third time (one drop per two gallons) over the
 course of the week.

 I do 20% water changes weekly, and when I dosed three times in the week,
 I did approximately a 40% water change.  When I said 'no water changes',
 I meant during the course of treatment.

Yeah, Alysoun, thx for the repost. I'm familiar with AS's Copper as well, it
is a non-chelated copper sulfate pentahydrate solution... but the same
cautionary remarks pertain... even though free copper is more transient in
aquarium use, and you indicate a regimen of regular water change: 1) do
utilize a free copper test kit (no more than 0.15ppm puhleeze), 2) do "get
rid" of the copper after use, and as a co-green thumber added, if at all
practical/possible 3) do so in a seperate treatment tank.
Bob Fenner