A lurker responds...

OK, from another lurker out here...

I am planning to tear down and set up one of my tanks as a planted tank in
the next month or so and have been reading, researching, lurking, reading
some more, asking a question here and there, reading yet more--- well, you
get the picture! Anyway, the question of 'what do you want from a planted
tank' is, I guess, rather well timed for me, since I've had to decide just
that in figuring out how to approach what I want to do. So, for me, the
answers are:

1) Visually appealing. Not only because -I- will get a sense of satisfaction
out of it, but also so that when people see it, they can't help but comment
on how nice it looks.

2) Healthy and balanced, for both plants and the fish in there.

3) Relative ease of maintenance. I say relative because I really don't mind
doing the 'drudge work'- it is a stress reliever for me to a certain extent.
I can get away from the rest of the world and concentrate on something I
enjoy. But I don't want to have to spend hours and hours trying to clean up
a mess of algae or dying plants or fish.

4) Futzability. Yeah, I made it up! :) I do like tinkering with stuff, be it
new technical equipment to try out, a new plant to see if I can get it to
grow well or a new fish to see if I can keep it happy. I want to be able to
futz with the tank!

5) Fun as well as learning. Whatever I do with any of the tanks, I want to
enjoy it. I also want to keep learning new things about the aquarium hobby
and environment. I do consider the learning part fun, but if any of it ain't
fun, I ain't gonna do it.

Thanks also to all the knowledgeable people out there- I've learned a lot
and hope to put it to good use very soon!

-Mak

God, help me to be considerate of the feelings of others, even if most of
them ARE hypersensitive.