Re: Fiberglass tank

In a message dated 8/9/98 2:52:05 AM EST, Aquatic-Plants-Owner at actwin_com
writes:

> Kudzu mentioned about building a tank using plywood, glass and
>  fiberglass. Just a guess, but I'd be worried about the exposed epoxy
>  plastic used to make fiberglass composites. Perhaps the best thing would
>  be to coat it with an enamel or marine paint. Does anybody know the best
>  kind of paint to use in such a situation?

The Aquarium of Niagara Falls sponsered the first show of the Niagara Frontier
Killifish Association in '82, and I got a tour of the facilities.  Their tanks
are everyday fiberglass on three sides and the bottom, with glass fronts.  No
problem.

There was instructions for the construction of a fiberglass tank on the
website of the <A HREF="http://garf.org">Geothermal Aquaculture Reseach
Foundation</A>.  They recommended three coats of epoxy paint, with sanding in
between.  My communications with them led to the understanding it wasn't real
important what type of epoxy.  I would use marine grade epoxy spar varnish.

Bob Dixon