Dupla optimum definition

In the introduction of The Optimum Aquarium they defined optimum as the
solution requiring the least amount of effort on the part of the
aquarist (assuming that no extra effort was required to obtain the cash
to purchase all the goodies!). They also mention producing consistent
and reliable results under all conditions and locations. In this
situation, the more high tech gadgets that could be applied to the
problem, the better. This includes automatic CO2 and nutrient dosing;
even automatic water changing!

This is a pretty good definition because the amount of work involved in
keeping a planted tank can be very high. I'm always on the lookout for a
better and easier method but avoid dependence on gadgets and products.
My personal definition of optimum includes weighted factors for:
results, cost, reliability and effort. I have a bias against using
aquarium products unnecessarily 1) I _feel_ a bit exploited for the
prices we already pay for products 2) because I like to see the hobby
made more available in places where expensive (or by our standards,
cheap) products are not really viable.

Steve Pushak                              Vancouver, BC, CANADA