Re: Adsorption vs. absorption

Hello Kes,

> Could someone please explain to me the difference between 					> 'absorption' and 'adsorption'?  Thanks, Kes

aDsorption -- adhesion (usually monomolecular) of a gas or liquid to the
surface of a solid (or, sometimes, liquid). Examples: adsorption of
organic substances on charcoal (as in a filter).

aBsorption -- taking up or removal. Examples: yellow glass absorbs blue
light; a sponge absorbs a liquid.

Hope this helps. If you have further questions, you can contact me off
list.

Best,

George S